Friday, November 26, 2010

Illusion of Privacy


Technology has made it increasingly simple to watch people. Whenever you leave the house to go shopping, there's a good chance your on camera and nowadays you never know when you're being listened to while on the phone. Granted this is for security purposes, and people should expect a lesser amount of privacy while in public places.

I don't necessarily think that people are constantly being watched, listened to, or monitored but I do think that peoples activities create a trail that can be traced back to that person. Just from browsing websites we get tracking cookies that are automatically installed onto our computers. Some companies even sell our information to 3rd parties. The illusion of privacy is not to be blamed on any one assailant because methods of this madness come in all different shapes and sizes. It can be as small as a tracking cookie, or as big as a social networking site. It can be generic or personal.. While its obvious that Social networking sites have increased the ease of obtaining personal information, the illusion of privacy is something that existed long before facebook and twitter, and its here to stay.

3 comments:

  1. Good post April...

    As you pointed out, there are different types of privacy issues in the Internet. I'm not too worried about having my surfing habits monitored through cookies. In fact, it sometimes enhances my experiences. For example, I became addicted to StumbleUpon after I opened an account this week. It found tons of websites that interested me.

    I'm far more concerned about personal information being used against me. For instance, I wouldn't want a would-be robber to know when I'm on vacation.

    Although I shop online regularly, but only with well-established sites. I have concerns about credit card and other financial info falling into the wrong hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, I don't think it is quite Big Brother is watching you. However, corporate cookies and sales tracking are far more insidious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said April and Banshuwa. Social networking in itself is not horrible or horrific. It’s the God forsaken pop-ups that drive me nuts.

    LinkedIn will sell your name, email, etc. to anyone that will pay them. However, they are smart enough not to send you spam with their name on it. Blah blah blah (sorry -- I’m tired and poking fun at myself -- not you).

    Have a great break and Happy Holiday Season!

    ReplyDelete